Earth Day is celebrated annually on April 22nd with the intention to raise awareness about environmental issues and promote environmental protection. The first was held in 1970 and was organized to bring attention to environmental problems such as pollution, deforestation, and the depletion of natural resources.
Since then, Earth Day has become a global event that is celebrated in more than 190 countries. People celebrate by participating in various activities. These activities include tree planting, beach cleanups, and recycling drives to promote environmental conservation and sustainability. The theme for Earth Day 2023 is “Restore Our Earth,” which focuses on the need to repair the damage done to the planet’s ecosystems and biodiversity.
What is the purpose of Earth Day?
Earth Day was created to bring attention to the urgent need to address environmental problems. These problems include pollution, deforestation, climate change, and the depletion of natural resources.
The day serves as a reminder that we all have a role to play in protecting our planet and creating a sustainable future. It is a day to educate people about the impact that our actions have on the environment. Additionally, to encourage them to take action to reduce their carbon footprint, conserve resources, and promote sustainability.
By raising awareness about environmental issues, Earth Day helps mobilize individuals, communities, and governments to protect our planet. It also provides an opportunity for people to come together to celebrate the beauty and diversity of our natural world and to renew their commitment to environmental stewardship.
How to celebrate Earth Day?
Earth Day is celebrated in many different ways, depending on the country and the community. Some popular activities include:
- Planting trees: Tree-planting events are a popular way to celebrate Earth Day. Trees are essential for filtering the air, preventing soil erosion, and providing habitats for wildlife.
- Litter clean-ups: Many communities organize litter clean-up events to help keep their streets, parks, and waterways clean.
- Recycling drives: Earth Day is the ideal occasion to encourage recycling and reduce waste. Many communities organize recycling drives to collect recyclable materials such as paper, plastic, and glass.
- Environmental education: The day provides the opportunity to learn and teach more about environmental issues and the importance of sustainability. Many schools and community organizations organize environmental education events such as workshops, lectures, and film screenings.
- Sustainable living: It is a great time to commit to living a more sustainable lifestyle. Some people use Earth Day to make changes in their daily habits, such as reducing their energy consumption, eating more plant-based foods, or using eco-friendly products.
- Advocacy and activism: Earth Day is also a time to advocate for environmental policies and take action to address climate change. Many organizations use this day to promote environmental awareness and encourage people to speak out about issues that affect our planet.
Earth Day at Corso
At Corso, we are incredibly passionate about protecting the planet. This is why we have worked so hard to make sustainable shipping protection easily accessible to brands and customers.
This Earth Day, we will be doubling all carbon offsets. You can shop your favorite brands and have double the positive impact on the planet.
Want to learn more about how you can elevate your brand’s sustainability efforts? Click here.
Earth Day has helped to create a global movement for environmental protection and sustainability. While there is still much work to be done to address environmental challenges, Earth Day has played a critical role in raising awareness and promoting action to protect our planet.
Check us out
With sustainability at the top of consumers' minds, in fact, 82% more so than pre-COVID, businesses can no longer afford to overlook their environmental impact. Whether your business has just begun its sustainability journey, or you’re looking for the next progression, we’ve compiled some simple steps to help elevate your brand's sustainability efforts.
Earth Day always serves as a great reminder to check-in and evaluate the sustainability of our habits and choices. However, as our friends over at Searchspring have pointed out, improving your sustainability is not only good for the planet, but it's also great for your business. This article by Searchspring outlines customers’ changing buying behaviors, simple ways retailers can go green, and how to effectively communicate sustainable policies and practices throughout the sustainable shopper experience.
Many of the brands who signed up with Corso over the past few months wanted Green Shipping Protection for their online orders placed over Black Friday Cyber Monday weekend. Green Shipping Protection protects their packages in case of any damage, theft, or loss during shipping. It also offsets 100% of the carbon emissions related to shipping packages to the customer. We are excited to fulfill the goal to help brands make good on all they ship.